In today post, I will show you 10 best keyword research tools for doing keyword research effectively in 2020.
In fact, I personally use these tools to spy on my competitors and find right keywords (that rank in Google and bring traffic & sales).
That way, my traffic and revenue is increasing day by day.
If you are not getting traffic to your blog, you are doing something wrong.
SEO game begins with keyword research then rest of things (creating quality content, internal linking, building backlinks, etc.) come into existence.
Hence, Read this guide till the end to choose best keyword research tool and know how to find keywords that rank easily.
Let’s dive right in.
Best Keyword Research Tools for 2020
SEMrush is my all-time favorite keyword research tool.
Actually it is more than a keyword research tool. Yes, it lets you spy on your competitors and steal top organic keywords which will never click your mind.
It is easy to use.
Firstly, enter a URL in bar and click on Start now button.
Now it will show you domain overview along with SEMrush rank, keywords, traffic cost, backlinks, display advertising, top organic keywords, organic position distribution and more.
You need to pay attention Top Organic Keywords section.
These are the keywords from where your competitor are getting most of traffic to their blog.
It will show you Top 5 organic keywords for free. To view full report, you need premium plan.
Apart from keywords, it tells you traffic (coming to blog), volume, keyword difficulty (KD), CPC and URL.
If you are struggling to get traffic to your blog, I will suggest you to note down some competitors’ blog URLs. Please ensure their blogs have same matrix as yours (e.g., domain authority, domain rating, niche etc.)
Once you have them, Use SEMrush and steal their top performing keywords.
When comes to on page optimization, secondary keywords play great role.
But most of time, Keyword research tools lack to show them when you simple enter primary keyword.
Hence I will advise you to use the blog post URL which is already ranking for your targeted keyword.
Go to Google, enter your targeted keyword and note down top 3 blog post URLs. Now put these URLs into SEMrush search box and hit enter.
That way, SEMrush will show you all keywords for which your competitor is ranking.
Note down all highly relevant keywords and use them into your content for on page optimization.
It is not only a keyword research tool. It is all in one SEO tool for digital marketers and bloggers.
Once you got SEMrush, you will never look to any another tool for keyword research, backlink analysis and more. Don’t believe me, give a try to SEMrush 7 day free trial and then see yourself.
Whenever someone asks me for the best keyword research tool, I wholeheartedly suggest Keyword Planner for them because it is an ideal keyword research tool for those who are just beginning to rule over the SERPS.
The best thing about this utility is it comes from Google and that allows us to get the accurate search volume information.
You can get average search volumes and monthly volumes as well. With the information, it will be easy for you to decide whether that keyword is popular or not. And, if you want to target Bing, Yahoo or any other search engine, it’s not possible here.
According to me, Google Keyword Planner is the best free keyword research tool.
In my blogging career, I have talked with a lot of bloggers. When I speak of the best keyword research tool, GKP comes to my mind at first.
- As it is free to use, you don’t have to pay even a single penny to start using it.
- You won’t have to start a special account for Google Keyword Planner. With a Google account, it is easy to set up an Adwords account and it is the only thing you need for this keyword research tool.
- As a blogger whose income solely relies on Adsense, you must use Keyword Planner because it accurately shows the CPC (Cost Per Click) of every keyword you insert.
- You can insert your competitor’s URL in landing pages section to get an overview of the keywords they are ranking for.
- Since the tool is solely built for advertisers, the competition level showed on the screen is not for bloggers. So don’t look at the competition section.
- If you choose to go with Search for New Keywords option, you will not always find the accurately related keywords.
- You can’t trace the ranking positions of your website for a particular keyword.
- It’s not possible to check the keyword competition (as I said earlier, the competition section indicates the advertisers’ bidding competition).
Have you ever given importance to long tail keywords? If you want to get ranked for a short keyword, just find some related keywords and insert those inside your content. As the ranking for secondary (I mean long tail) keywords increases, it will help you climb up the search results for the primary keyword as well.
As far as long tail keyword fetching is concerned, Keyword.io is so far best keyword research tool.
When it comes to finding long tail keywords, my go-to place is Keyword.io. It is a simple website using which you can unleash tons of related keywords that’s being searched on Google, YouTube, Bing, Amazon and some other places as well.
As a cherry on the cake, it displays LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) keywords as well.
- A free version is available that lets you search for related keywords unlimited times.
- keyword.io shows both long tail and latent semantic indexing keywords as well.
- It is possible to get keywords from multiple places (Google, Bing, YouTube, Amazon, Alibaba, Fiverr, PlayStore, etc.) as I said earlier.
- If you sign up for the free version, you can export keywords to a spreadsheet.
- The free version does not show things like CPC, search volume, LSI keywords, etc.
- The Pro plan has all the features, but it costs around $50.
- No competitor analysis option available like SEMRush
Soovle is another best keyword research tool in free. It won’t confuse you with a lot of links and clumsy things on the homepage. They won’t limit you from using any service on the homepage also because there is no premium version available.
On the homepage, you will be provided with a simple search form along with Google, Yahoo, Bing, Amazon, Wikipedia, Answers and YouTube logo. The logos indicate that Soovle can display top keywords from those websites related to the seed keyword you enter.
Just above the search field, you will see the logo of the site with the highest priority, which means, you will see the most number of keywords from that website. It is possible to change the priority of website by clicking on the logo of each given below the field.
I am pretty sure that you will find this to be best keyword research tool available completely for free to use.
- Available completely for free that you will not be restricted from using any service as no paid version is available.
- Feature to search for top keywords on different search engines.
- It is possible to go to the search page of a particular website by clicking on the keyword.
- The real time keyword digging allows you not to click any keys but type only.
- You can’t find any other details of the keywords like search volume or CPC.
- The competitor analysis option is not available if you want to check the competition.
- It won’t give you many features. The only thing I think you can do with is to grab a bunch of top keywords.
If you are hearing the name KeywordRevelear for the first time, you missed the chance to use this best keyword research tool for free, I would say. In the beginning, this web utility was available for free to use unlimited times. But now, you need to pay a few bucks to use it without any limit.
I have asked many professional bloggers how they find the keyword competitiveness or difficulty. Most of them told me that they do it manually by a Google search and comparing site metrics like DA, TF, backlinks, etc. Truth be told, the manual keyword competitiveness check is a tedious task. If you are a person who needs to automate this process, you must start using KeywordRevealer.
Just create a free account and explore the features. Then tell me, is it not best keyword research tool?
- You can check the difficulty of any keyword with a click (It is supposed that any keyword with a difficulty under 30 is easy to rank)
- Whenever you submit a seed keyword, you will get a number of long tail keywords to be included in your content with additional details like search volume and CPC.
- Though this tool is a paid one, you can use the keyword research feature for free after signing up for a free account and do up to 3 keyword researche and difficulty checks.
- A rank tracker is also available to track the fluctuations in your website ranking.
- Both the free and basic paid versions are limited to research and difficulty check.
- Unlike SEMRush, KeywordRevealer doesn’t have a broad competitor analysis feature that reveals the backlinks and other details.
- The keyword difficulty check may not always be accurate as it is possible to hide PBN backlinks etc.
If you want simplicity and abundance of keywords instead of fancy features and user interface, UberSuggest will suit you the best. The UberSuggest homepage features a search field with a suggest button just right to the same. You only need to insert the primary keyword, and it will take care of revealing tons of related long tail keywords within a few moments.
Soon after you finish the suggestion process, a series of keywords will be presented before you with a brilliant filter. You can exclude a bunch of unwanted keywords by intelligently making use of that filter.
You can diversify the keyword hunting by getting the suggestions from Google news, images, YouTube and shopping as well. It is also possible to set the target location for Google. Considering the free-to-use nature, UberSuggest is undoubtedly best keyword research tool.
- UberSuggest won’t disturb you with sign up notifications as you can do everything on it without registration.
- The interface deserves applause as they haven’t injected any unwanted things except a couple of Adsense units that don’t make any inconvenience.
- You can search on Google web, images, news as well as on YouTube. It is also possible to change the location as well.
- Word cloud feature is available to display most of the top keywords in one screen.
- You don’t get any deep insight about keywords like search volume, CPC, etc.
- The keyword competitiveness remains a mystery, and you may have to use another tool for this purpose.
- Not many features are available as this tool is only meant for long tail keyword digging.
Here comes yet another free best keyword research tool to find a lot of keywords. This one is more of a content idea gathering tool than a keyword research utility. Just like UberSuggest, this one also lacks a sign-up button.
If you are keen on getting information in the form of visuals, AnswerthePublic is going to satisfy you because it displays any number of keywords as a diagram.
The interface divides the keywords into alphabets, questions, and propositions. You can see keywords in the form of questions in the second category. It is possible to revert the showcasing behavior to text as well.
At the checking screen, you can switch between tier one countries like US, UK, etc.
- You don’t have to sign up for an account to start the keyword hunting.
- A diagrammatic representation is available using which you can get an idea of all the keywords. A text-mode is also available.
- You can download all the keywords in an Excel CSV file.
- The features are limited that you can’t even switch the Google local version to India.
- No competitive analysis feature and keyword difficulty check as well.
- In the case of a lot of keywords, it is impossible to grasp the same from the diagram.
When talking about premium best keyword research tool, Long Tail Pro comes to my mind after SEMRush. A lot of popular bloggers are making a steady income by the keywords tapped by Long Tail Pro.
It displays the keyword information from Google Keyword Planner. Then you may think about the relevancy of using this tool as it shows results from another utility, right? The fact is LTP shows only the CPC and search volume from Keyword Planner. The keyword competitiveness is the tool’s unique feature that gets calculated after taking the important site metrics into consideration.
Though the tool works only with an internet connection, you won’t need to open a website for using it. After the successful purchase, you will be able to download the software. The only requirement is Adobe Air because of what you can use that tool on both Windows and Mac.
- Accurate keyword search volume and PPC calculation as it draws the result from Google Keyword Planner directly.
- Close to accurate keyword competitiveness calculation that helps you to determine the rank-ability of a particular keyword.
- The uncluttered interface makes everything easy to do.
- The paid version (a trial version for $1 is available) is super fast that you won’t need to wait long to get the keyword search results.
- Feature to get local search volume and competitiveness, which is useful in ranking local search results.
- A rank checker is also available to keep track on your target keywords and the ranking.
- The architecture of the software is not much efficient as it may stop responding occasionally.
- Sometimes, the keyword research needs a little bit of time than usual to display the results
Topvisor provides a range of SEO Tools to its users and its keyword research tool is the best. It is very important to find the right set of keywords that can be targeted on desired locations. The intuitive & smart interface of this keyword research tool allows you to find the keywords using different tools including Google Adwords, Yandex.direct, and Webmaster Bing.
You will be fetched with a number of keyword ideas that you can target in desired location. Usually, the tool costs you $0.1 for searching a keyword in one location from different available sources. The final cost will be calculated automatically once you are done with searching the keywords.
It will create a list of groups. Every group will have the keywords that are harvested based on particular search query from a specific source. There is a short abbreviation behind every group that depicts the source from which the group keywords are harvested. You can choose to turn off a group from suggested groups or let the tool do it automatically once you are finished with keyword research.
- The tool can fetch data from different sources including Google Adwords, Webmaster Bing and Yandex.direct.
- You can select the desired location for searching the keywords from a particular location.
- You have a choice to skip the keywords that are irrelevant to your location.
- Keywords harvested by the tool are listed in groups.
- The keywords suggested can also be downloaded so that you need not search the same keywords again and again.
- The cost might a big issue while using this tool as it costs $0.1 for each keyword you enter and research.
- Its interface becomes a little complex to understand for a newbie when the groups are listed. Though, the overall interface of this tool is smooth.
10. Market Samurai
If you take the list of five best keyword research tools, you can find Market Samurai there. It is also a desktop application just like Long Tail Pro. This utility is a collection of a set of SEO tools mandatory for anyone who wants to take their online business to next level.
The important in-house tools of Market Samurai are the rank tracker, keyword researcher, SEO competition analyzer, domain name checker, content hunter, etc. You will get a whole nugget of useful tools to target better keywords thereby, maximize your revenue.
As a beginner on Market Samurai, you can watch tutorials on their official website to utilize this best keyword research tool in the right way.
If you are an e-commerce affiliate marketer, you can make use of their monetization feature that digs deeply into the top performing products in Amazon, Commission Junction, Click Bank and Pay dot com. So, finding profitable products to promote will become a walk in the park for you if you use Market Samurai.
- A set of tools like rank tracker, keyword researcher, monetization guide, etc. to help you maximize your online profit.
- Market Samurai is best keyword research tool if you consider keyword hunting only.
- A promotion tool is available that make authoritative pingback links to your site without adding a pinch of spam.
- The competitor analysis is not efficient here comparing with other best keyword research tools.
- Backlink stealing is not as good as SEMRush as well.
11. Majestic SEO
Majestic SEO is widely used best keyword research tool by digital marketers to find low competitive keywords. Majestic has their own metrics to calculate the popularity and organic performance of a website (like trust flow).
This keyword research tool has a database of websites and backlinks using which they display the same even though the keyword search volumes and CPC are drawn from Google Keyword Planner. In my opinion, best keyword research tool to find out search volume and Cost Per Click is the Keyword Planner itself as it is owned by Google. So, Long Tail Pro and Majestic, being two best keyword research tool, are doing fabulous work, by taking keyword information from the Keyword Planner.
- Availability of a historic and fresh index to distinguish between the past and live backlinks to spy on.
- The backlink list has separate flags for do follow and no follow links to figure out each on the first glance itself.
- Majestic crawl is most comprehensive than most of the best keyword research tool on this list offers.
- The pricing is a bit on the expensive side considering other best keyword research tool.
- You may find it difficult to understand all of their features at once.
Wrapping up best keyword research tool
I have given you 10 best keyword research tool to get low competitive keywords to earn profits. It is true that I have ignored some exceptionally well best keyword research tool like SpyFu, KWFinder, etc.
Do you use any of the keyword research tools I have mentioned here? What is best keyword research tool in your view? Did I miss out any significant keyword research tool? Let me know in the comment section down below.
Also, share these tools with your blogger friends to help them beat the keyword drought.