Investigation best types of SIM cards for travelers in the USA. Choose the best option to stay connected while travelling abroad.
Are you going to plan a trip or a business visit to the United States and wondering how to communicate with relatives in each part of the United States? Luckily, there are many ways for travelers to keep in touch for both short and long visits to America. Today we will look at them and help you select the best one for you.
It is preferable to pick a SIM card according to the purpose of your trip. So, if you are going on a short-term trip, there are several options that we are going to look at.
Table of Contents
1. Receive an online phone number
The easiest option for connecting in America is to connect with an eSIM. eSIM cards are the more affordable, advanced, and easy to use way to stay in touch with any country worldwide. Also, you won’t have a physical card to lose. You don’t have to enter your passport or ID information to register. In addition, eSIM can cost less than purchasing a SIM card from the local operator.
2. Buying a SIM card from local mobile operator
To get a national SIM card in America, you need a USA credit card. If you are going on a short trip or a multistate trip, this is probably not the most practical option. In addition, it can be costly because not all providers offer full coverage across the U.S.
3. Roaming from your home country
On the one hand, this way will help you stay in the United States with access to the number of your home country and receive messages from banks and other services. But on the other hand, this option can not be considered economical, because some operators charge a huge amount for cell phone communication in roaming, and what will be the bill for justification of constant SMS?
After considering options for staying in touch for short-term travels, we suggest exploring ways to communicate with family if you don’t know how long you’ll be staying in America. There are several options in this case as well.
1. Buying a local SIM card for long-term use
Buying a local SIM card is a great way to stay in the U.S. for a longer period of time. There are numerous carriers in the United States: AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. Let’s look at each option!
- AT&T. You can buy a SIM card with cell service and Internet at shopping malls and gas stations, but some locations may add a sales charge to the package. Prices for internet + mobile packages range from $30 to $50 depending on how many GB of data you want in the package: the cheapest package has no internet access, while the most expensive package provides 8 GB. The most expensive package also includes unlimited communication not only in the U.S. but also in Mexico and Canada.
- T-Mobile. This operator doesn’t have very wide coverage across America, but its prices are loyal: for the cheapest package you’ll pay $15 for 2 GB and unlimited cell service, and the most expensive package costs $40 with 10 GB included and unlimited cell service.
- Verizon. The packages of this operator include unlimited calls and SMS within the network, and the prices are not much different from the offers above: the cheapest plan costs $35 and includes 1 GB of mobile Internet, and the most expensive package costs $50 with 16 GB of mobile Internet. Internet traffic is provided for 30 days.
2. Prepaid SIM Card
If you know exactly how long you will be in the United States, you can consider another option for keeping in touch. This option is buying a prepaid SIM card. This option has its advantages: convenient and economical connection, and often the opportunity to use the SIM card not only in the U.S. but also in the UK, Canada, and Mexico. So if you are planning a big tour, this option is for you.
However, before you purchase this card, you should check if your phone will be compatible with this type of card! Check if your phone supports LTE frequencies as well as VoLTE, as many European phones do not connect to these frequencies. Then the carrier will simply not let you into the network and will block the sim card.
The price will range from $50 to $100, and such cards are sold at any store, gas station and mini-market, and you do not need a passport to apply for a card.
Specifics of mobile communication in the United States
To summarize, the type of SIM card you choose for traveling in America depends on your goals, the time of your stay in the U.S., and the geography of your trip. If you’re planning a short trip, you’ll want to look at getting an online phone number because it’s a cheap, simple, and modern way that doesn’t require a physical SIM card and will be supported throughout the United States. If you are planning a long-term stay in the United States, it is better to consider buying a SIM card from a local operator. But before you buy one, be sure to verify that the local carrier’s card will be compatible with your phone and that it covers your destination.
In addition, it is advisable to check the websites of mobile operators before buying, as they usually have many discounts and promotions when buying online.