ECES is for professionals involved in deploying encryption technologies, where learners receiving the training get knowledge of modern symmetric cryptography. The syllabus of ECES certification includes Feistel Networks, DES, AES, including a few other topics like Blowfish, Twofish, Skipjack. It also includes hashing algorithms like MD5, SHA, MD6, Gost, etc. The ECES certification concepts make you well-versed with confusion, diffusion, and Kerkchoff’s principle.
Mainly, Cryptanalysts, Penetration testing professionals, and Ethical Hackers take the ECES certification exam. If you are interested in pursuing a career in cryptography, this course will be relevant to you.
The eligibility requirement for the ECES certification is one year of work experience in the Information Security Domain. Proof of work experience is mandatory when filling the application process for the ECES certification exam. You must also attend the official training.
The format of the ECES certification exam is:
- Number of questions- 50
- Exam duration- 2 hours
- Multiple-choice questions
- Test Delivery is at EC- Council Exam centre.
- The applicant needs 70% to pass the exam.
The advantages of ECES certification are that you will have more detailed knowledge about- information security, different types of threats, and password cracking. In addition, cryptography learning will include concepts like viruses, web apps and their servers, intrusion detection tools, hacking methods and cycles, email crimes, investigation reports, computer forensics, etc.
Let us now learn about some essential tips to clear the ECES certification exam more easily:
Have a Clear Understanding of What You Need to Know:
It would help if you remembered that you need to devote your full time to learning and revising the syllabus. Therefore, the first step you must do is go to the ECES website and read about the detailed syllabus and everything you should know before applying for the exam.
The syllabus of the ECES certification exam is –
1. Introduction and history of cryptography- This has 8 % weightage, this includes topics:
- Overview of cryptography
- Understanding mono-alphabet substitution of cryptographic algorithms
- Understanding multi-alphabet substitution of cryptographic algorithms
- Understanding homophonic substitution of cryptographic algorithms
2. Symmetric cryptography & hashes: This involves a significant portion of the exam syllabus – 44%. It includes topics, such as:
- Overview of symmetric cryptography
- Understanding basic binary math in cryptography
- Understanding symmetric block cipher algorithms
- Understanding symmetric algorithm methods
- Symmetric stream ciphers
- Cryptographic hash algorithms
3. Number Theory & Asymmetric Cryptography: This has 14% of exam weightage. It includes the following topics:
- A brief of asymmetric cryptography
- Understanding basic number facts
- Understanding birthday theorem
- Understanding random number generators
- Overview of asymmetric encryption algorithms
- Applications of Cryptography: This is 24% of the exam weightage, including digital signatures, authentication protocols, Wi-Fi encryption, VPN creation protocols, national security agency encryption algorithms, etc.
- Cryptanalysis: This has 10% of the exam weightage, including topics like understanding the cryptanalysis technique, password cracking, etc.
Gather Enough Study Resources for ECES Certification Exam:
You must gather and prepare only from the valid and authentic study materials, from trusted resources. These study resources can be of various types like- study guides, E-books, videos, online training, practice tests, etc. In addition, you can also enrol in the ECES course to get a comprehensive understanding.
EC council releases an ECES study guide for the ECES certification exam, which you must prepare thoroughly. There might be some complex topics that you should not skip, and it is best to learn the basics of such sections. Some ECES training modules of 3 days are highly beneficial for you to solve exam-related doubts.
- Prepare a study schedule, and follow that properly- It is essential to prepare a plan and complete all the topics. It is necessary to train daily, devote 2-3 hours into preparation with undisturbed attention.
- It would help if you kept taking ECES practice tests from time to time to know the level of preparation. It would give you an insight into which areas of the syllabus you need to prepare more. Then, when you start scoring 90% or above in the practice tests, you will know that you are ready to take the ECES certification exam. The good part about taking these practice tests is that they help you manage your time, help track the results, and motivate you to improve.
Please note that this exam requires thorough and detailed preparation, making it not an easy exam to crack.
The advantage of the ECES certification exam is that cryptography knowledge helps you make the right choice. In addition, this certification will help you choose the most applicable encryption standard.
We hope to make your planning and preparation for the ECES certification exam easier, and this article could give you some valuable tips.
Once you earn this certification, you will get a tremendous amount of knowledge about cryptography. The ECES certification also gives you a significant edge while applying for new jobs.