How to start a blog and make money is a common problem for several people. Who have heard from their friends, they are earning massive income from blogging.
I have met with lots of people who give horrible reaction after hearing blogging word. But when I told them about my earning, they requested me to teach them blogging.
Today I am going to share complete guide “how to start a blog and make money” at my lots of friend requests.
Who should read this guide?
This guide is for those people who have decided to set up a successful blog but don’t know where to start. Since starting a blog is one thing and making it successful is another thing which demands lots of patience and hard works.
I will share both methods in this guide. First method is those people who can’t afford huge money but have passion. Second method is those people who can buy hosting, themes and plugins mainly hosting.
This guide is categorized into two main parts first how to start a blog and second make money blogging.
First Part: How to Start a Blog?
How to choose best domain name?
To start a profession blog, you need a good domain name. To choose a best domain name take a look at 12 Advanced Tips To Choose The Best Domain Name.
If you have written above tips to select best domain, I hope you have find out a good domain name for you. Now time to buy domain name.
I always use Godady and Bigrock to buy a domain name due to their good services. I would like to recommend to you same.
First Method: Starting a blog With BlogSpot
As I already told you first method is only for those who can’t afford
afford money. So if you are looking for following questions, first method is for you.
- how to create a blog for free
- how to create a free blog
- how to make a blog for free
- make money online for free
There are several platforms to start a free blog. But in this guide, I selected blogspot. Since it is more use friendly and I have personally tested it for my blog.
Step by Step Guide To Create Blogspot Blog
- Visit Blogspot.com
- Click on New Blog Option.im
- A popup window will appear. Wrtie title in title option and blog name in address option. if blog name is not taken by anyone. It will show available. Otherwise you will see a alert Sorry, this blog address is not available.
- Try another name till you don’t see the message “this blog address is available” as seen in image.
- Select template from template option, don’t bother about it much. if you don’t know what is best for you. You can chage it later.
- Click on Create a new blog option. You have done 🙂 Now your dashboard will look like below image.
Now time to do setting of blog to make it more professional.
Click on your blog title option. Now you can see your blog dashboard like below image.
Let me define each for better understanding.
Overview: Overview option shows blog overview like page views, comments awaiting moderation, published comments, page views today, posts, followers etc.
Post: Post option shows all post including published or draft post. It also shows post author name, view counts, and post publishing time.
So every time when you want to edit any post or want to see which post are getting more views. Click on post and then click edit, view, share or delete options according to your requirement.
Pages: Pages option is used create pages, edit pages and delete pages. All created pages are shown under Pages field.
Comments: Comments options for managing comments. From this section, you can delete, approve or if you look something spam comments, simply click on spam. Automatically it will go into spam section.
Google+: This option is used Google+ setting.
Stats: It shows total overview of blog like page views, traffic sources and audience.
Earnings: It is used to setup Adsense and earn money with blog.
Campaign: This option is only for them who have good budget and want to drive traffic using Pay Per Click.
Layout: it is important option to give a professional look to your blog. Blog layout provides you facility to add any gadgets into the sidebar, footer and header. You can simply drag up and down by clicking on gadget button.
When you click on gadget option, you will see a window with basic, more gadgets and add your own options. In basic section, you will found +1 button gadget, Google+ Badge Gadget etc, every gadget shows description. So it is easy to select gadget what is best for you.
Template: Template option is to edit and customize template. By default Blogspot offers 7 following sections of templates. You can select according to your blog theme.
- Dynamic Views
- Picture Windows
- Awesome Inc.
Using customize option, you can change anything like backgrounds, adjust widths, layout and advanced like below screen. You can select according to your requirement. If you want to change the background, select background option.
Before make any changes in blogger, Take a backup of your blog.
Read: How to take backup.
Settings: Settings option include different subsection like basic, post and comments, mobile and others and search preference. Every name shows its function. In basic section, you can set title, description and authors. In post & comments section, you can set how many post will be shown at home page, comment moderation and word verification etc.
I hope now you better understand with blog spot and can do all things like customization, creating pages and posts etc.
Now time to set custom domain name for blogspot blog.
How to Setup Custom Domain on Blogger
If you buy domain name with Godaddy, Read the complete tutorial to setup custom domain name on Blogspot with GoDaddy.
And in case of Bigrock, take a look at how to setup BigRock as custom domain for blogger.
Completing above step, you will have a blog with a custom domain like www.updatelad.com.
Take a look at another important posts for you.
- How to Add Facebook Page Like Box
- How To Add Author Box Below Blog Post
- How to Add Floating Social Media Share Widget
- Adding a Meta Description to Blogger
- How to Add Flipper Widget Below Every Post
- How To Add Keywords In Blog Post For SEO
Second Method: Setup Blog With WordPress
Mostly people love to start blog with WordPress since it is more user-friendly and SEO friendly also. Starting blog with WordPress you need to buy hosting.
There are several companies who are offering hosting services. I personally use Hostgator. I would like also to recommend to go with Hostgator baby plan. Baby plan is best since if you plan to run more than one blog in future, you can manage lots of website easily if you take baby plan. But if your budget is less and you don’t want to run any website soon, go with hatching plan.
Step by Step Guide to Setup WordPress Blog
This step by step guide is only for those users who have Hostgator hosting. When you buy hosting, you have get an email with all information like control panel URL, user name, 1st nameserver, 2nd nameserver and server IP.
Domain Creatin Process
- Visit control panel URL. You will see like below image.
- Fill username and password information and click on Log In button.
- Now select Addon Domains from domains section.
- After clicking on addon Domains option, you will have screen like below image. Put all required information like domain name, FTP username, document root, and password. After filling all info., click on Add domain name.
Now you have created domain in control panel. You will see image like below.
Now time to do WordPress installation.
Step by Step WordPress Installation Process
- Click on QuickInstall option from Software/Services section.
- Now select WordPress Option from Blog Software section.
- Click on continue option and fill all required information.
- After filling all information, click on Install Now button.
- All done you will see like below image.
This is one time password so change after login in WordPress.
Now time to update nameserver.
Take a look at how to update Name Servers?
- Login into Godaddy.
- Now click on Domains option and again click Launch/Manage Option.
- New window will be appear, Now update Nameservers under nameserver section. You need to update with these nameservers which you have got into email from Hostgator.
Nameserver Updation may take 24 hours to update. So don’t worry. As soon as name server updation effects, you will see WordPress default dashboard.
Now time to install WordPress themes.
Take a look at 10 Best Responsive Genesis Child Themes
If you have decided which theme is best for your blog and bought, follow the below instruction to install a WordPress theme.
- Visit https://www.updateland.com/wp-admin/, replace updateland.com with your own blog name.
- Now click on dashboard option. Again click on Appearance option and select Themes option. Now click on add new option.
- Click on Upload theme option and again click Choose file option.
- Select your theme from your computer.
- Click on Install Now button.
You have done. Every theme has different theme panel for setting so check theme demo content to set your theme.
First part of this guide has been completed. Now time to move on second part make money blogging.
Second Part: How to make money with a blog?
You have setup blog successfully. Now time to establish blog in the blogosphere. To stand out a blog from the crowd or make it brand, you need to work passionately. I have divided this part into four categories.
- Creating Awesome Content For Your Blog
- Optimization & Marketing Of Blog
- Make Money With Your Blog
Creating Awesome Content For Your Blog
Content is the heart of your blog. Creating engaging and interesting content is an art. Are you thinking how you will know? What content will your reader enjoy?. Let me describe. People enjoy that content in which any problem is solved. You can simply ask from their reader what they want to read.
You can write posts at that problems which you have faced in your blogging journey since most of bloggers face same problem like how to write killer headlines, best blogging community to make relationship with bloggers, best seo optimization tools, must have WordPress plugins etc.
To write interesting content, take a look at below posts.
- How To Write Great Blog Content
- Creating Content: The Easy and Smart way
- 11 Content Writing Tips to Write Your Posts Like a PRO
- How To Write Search Engine Optimized Article
Crafting a perfect post is an art which develop after writing many posts, when I look my past blog post, I realize how many mistakes I have done in past. But Smart thing is that I have learned from my mistakes. To avoid mistakes while crafting a blog post, take a look at below post.
- How To Craft A Blog Post: Essential Blogging Tips
- 5 Killer Blogging Tips You Must Remember During Blog Posting
Now you have written great content, now time to publish blog post, First you need images for blog post to capture social media attention and make your content live. Read below post.
Optimization & Marketing Of Blog
Marketing is the main part of make money blogging. Your blogging income depends on your marketing strategy. Only writing content is not going to help you. You need to follow proper strategy for marketing. Everyone have own marketing techniques. Take a look at below marketing posts which will help you drive massive traffic to your blog.
Serch Engine Optimization
- What is SEO/Search Engine Optimization
- How To Find Long Tail Keywords – Complete Guide
- On-Page SEO: Anatomy of a Perfectly Optimized Page
- Effective Off Page SEO Tips to Boost Ranking
- SEO Basics: 10 SEO Essential When Optimizing Your Site/Blog
Directory Submission: Directory submission is still an effective technique of link building. it provides permanent backlinks. Every directory submission site has own guidelines so always read guidelines before submitting your website. I shared a post before some days ago, in which I described directory submission guidelines and share a directory submission list also.
Social Bookmarking: Social Bookmarking is best way to get instant backlinks for blog posts. It is helpful in fast indexing and driving traffic to site. Use only best sites like Reddit, StumbleUpon, delicious and Pinterest etc.
Blog Commenting: I love blog commenting method as compared to another one. It gives double benefit. Double benefit means it helps to make relationship with blogger and creating backlink also. Is it not cool? Check below post to read blog commenting guidelines and get good blog commenting list.
Forum Posting: Forums are sources to connect with targeted audience more than a technique of creating backlinks. Here is a list of top internet marketing forums especially for blogging niche bloggers.
Steal Backlinks Sources from Competitor: it is really cool technique, I hope you will also love this. First find out you top 10 competitors, check from where, they are creating backlinks. I have described complete strategy at How To Get High-Quality Backlinks.
Social Media Optimization
- Basics of Social Media For Business
- How To Use Google+ To Increase Your Blog Traffic
- How To Get More Traffic Using Facebook
- How to Gain More Followers On Google Plus
- 13 Actionable Tips On Marketing Yourself On LinkedIn
Make Money With Your Blog
- Affiliate Marketing – Ultimate Guide
- How to use Adsense – Complete Guide
- Successful Strategies For Selling Ad Space On Low-Traffic Websites
- What Is Sponsored Review and How To Get Started?
- Offer Your Services Online
- 3 Ways To Make $100,000 Online Selling Your Own Product
- Sell your Site to another Person
- Start a private forum or provide coaching classes
- Offer consulting
- Sell an e-book
Conclusion, I have shared both ways first one how to create a blog with blogspot and make money, second how to start blog with WordPress and make money. If you have good budget, I would recommend to go with wordpress. Setting up a blog, follow second part how to make money with blog to earn passive income from you blog. if you follow all ways and work passionately, I am sure, you will be upcoming pro blogger.
if you have any query regarding from blogging, feel free to ask via comment section. If you enjoyed this guide “How to Start a Blog And Make Money”, Please don’t forget to your followers.